What Causes Hair Fall?
A host of reasons can cause hair fall, one or more: Heredity:
It is the most common reason for hair loss affecting both men and women world-wide. Genetics do play a big role in lack of a crown of thick hair.Age:
Ageing leads to slowing of hair growth. At certain point in our lives, hair follicles stop growing hair, which causes thinning of hair. Hair also loses its colour too with age. Alopecia areata:
Alopecia areata is an auto-immune disease in which body’s immune system attacks hair follicles (which hold the hair to the scalp) leading to hair loss.Childbirth:
After a few months of giving birth, mothers may experience extensive hair fall due to a change in the hormone levels during and after pregnancy.Hormonal imbalance:
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) leads to the formation of cysts in the ovaries. It is accompanied by other signs and symptoms, one of the most common ones being hair loss.Scarring alopecia:
Alopecia means hair loss. In this condition, inflammation destroys the hair follicles. Once the hair follicles are destroyed, they can never grow hair.Thyroid conditions:
Reduced or excessive functioning of the thyroid both can lead to thinning of hair. Sometimes hair also comes out in clumps while combing or brushing the hair.Scalp psoriasis:
People who have psoriasis, an auto-immune skin condition, may eventually develop psoriasis on their scalp. This can be extremely painful and leads to ample hair loss.Cancer treatment:
Chemotherapy or radiation therapy as part of cancer treatment may lead to complete or partial loss of hair within a few weeks of treatment.Nutritional deficiency:
When there is a deficiency of biotin, iron, protein or zinc nutrients, it leads to hair loss.Symptoms of Hair Loss:
If you keep suffering from hair loss, you can never have thick hair.4 A few people may develop other signs and symptoms along with hair loss as follows:
Suggested Home Remedies for Thick Hair: 1. Amla:
- Sharp burning or tingling sensation just before hair loss
- Itching and burning sensation at the site of hair loss. It is also accompanied by tenderness at the same site.
- Bald patches that are scaly and often have sores or blisters that open and leak pus
- Redness and swelling on the sores that cause itching and ooze pus
- Scaly patches of psoriasis on scalp
Amla or Indian gooseberry contains tons of vitamin C, and other beneficial compounds like gallic acid and quercetin. Together these provide immense nutritional support towards achieving thick tresses.
2. Onion: Onion
- Amla oil can be prepared by boiling dry amla pieces in coconut oil. It works as a wonderful hair tonic that helps in hair growth.
- You can also mix fresh amla juice and lime juice and apply this to prevent hair loss and increase hair growth. Together this should help obtain thick, shiny hair.
is very beneficial in treating patchy baldness. Onions contain vitamin C, allicin and sulphur containing compounds that help stimulate hair regrowth. Rub the affected area with onion juice till it becomes red. Apply honey afterwards on the same area. 3. Rosemary and Lavender Oil:
Application of rosemary and lavender oil
topically on the scalp stimulates the hair follicle, treating hair loss. Massage with these oils daily to reduce hair loss. 4. Walnut Oil:
Walnut oil promotes hair growth and nourishes the hair naturally. Walnuts contain iron, copper, zinc, potassium, manganese, proteins and fats. These nutrients help overcome any nutritional deficiency and achieve thick, glossy hair. Apply walnut oil on the scalp and massage it into the roots of the hair for treating hair loss.5. Liquorice:
Liquorice is a very useful remedy for treating patchy baldness as it helps in hair growth. Chief constituents of liquorice are glycyrrhizin, potassium and calcium salt of glycyrrhizinic acid are part of.
- Grind the pieces of liquorice in milk and add a pinch of saffron.
- Make a fine paste.
- Now apply this paste on the bald patches before going to bed at night.
Sage helps in thickening of the hair shaft and improves blood flow to the scalp.
7. Bee pollen:
- Mix a few drops of sage oil with a few drops of peppermint oil. Now dilute this mixture by adding olive oil. Massaging this oil mixture on the scalp prevents hair loss.
- Sage rinse – Prepare a sage and rosemary rinse by adding both the herbs in boiling water. Now rinse your hair with it to promote the thickening of hair.
Bee pollen helps in stimulating hair growth. Mix bee pollen with hot water to make a mask and apply this hair growth mask on your hair. You can also add bee pollen directly to your shampoo to give a boost to your hair with every hair wash. 8. Green Tea:
Green tea helps in decreasing hair loss and stimulates in the growth of strong and thick hair.
9. Hibiscus: Hibiscus
- Rinse with Green Tea – Take a few green tea bags and brew it in water. Let this decoction cool. Now wash your hair with mild shampoo and massage with green tea for a few minutes on your scalp. Now rinse your hair with cold water.
- Green Tea Hair Mask – Add some green tea, coconut oil and olive oil. Massage this prepared mask your hair and scalp. Keep it for a few minutes, then wash it off with cold water.
helps in dense hair growth by improving blood flow to the scalp. Grind a few hibiscus leaves with flowers and some fresh yoghurt to make a paste. Now apply this paste on your hair leave it for an hour. Later, rinse it off with the help of lukewarm water and a mild shampoo. 10. Peppermint Oil:
Peppermint is a very effective therapeutic agent that promotes hair growth. Massage peppermint oil directly on the scalp. Wash the hair with mild shampoo afterwards. When to Seek Medical Help:
Refer to the doctor immediately if you notice the following:
- Sudden hair loss
- Bald patches
- Lose of hair in clumps
- Itching and burn in head
Hair plays an important role in framing the personality and appearance of a person. It has both psychological and sociological importance. Everyone wants to have thick hair as it adds to confidence and brings that spring in the step of every girl for sure. Needless to say, hair loss is a big concern these days. Reasons for hair loss can vary from genetic, thyroid disorders, PCOS
, cancer, psoriasis, nutritional deficiency, etc. Various herbs are found to be useful in thickening of hair. Simple home remedies with amla, onion, sage, liquorice, hibiscus, green tea, walnut, rosemary, lavender, etc. are found to promote hair growth.